A plat is a map of a piece of land identifying the location and boundaries of street rights-of-way, individual lots or parcels, and other site information. The plat shows features such as lot lines, utility easements, setback lines, land dedicated for public use (e.g. streets and parks), ownership, and metes and bounds (boundary dimensions). Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 212, contains the state law governing the approval of plats.
For additional information regarding platting in the City of Fort Worth please contact the platting team, 817-392-8027.
A $50 paper filing fee will apply effective Oct. 1, 2016, if not filed electronically. This additional fee shall not apply to concept plans, which are not available online at this time.
To review plat comments:
- Go to Accela online.
- Select Planning tab.
- Enter your case number in the permit number box and hit Enter
- Use the following format for the case number, ex. FS-14-XXX, FP-14-XXX, PP-14-XXX.
- Depending on the submittal date, you may need to change the start date for the search.
- Under More Details, click on “Print/View Conditions/Comments”.
- All comments are broken up by Department. Each will contain the contact name, email address and/or phone number for the person reviewing your plat.
View a schedule and dockets for platting cases before the City Plan Commission.
Locate Plats Online
Copies of recorded plats are available at:
Tarrant County Courthouse
County Clerk's Office
Deed Records Section
100 E. Weatherford St., Basement Floor, B-30
Records from 1970 to present are available through Tarrant County's online search.
If you know the plat subdivision name or number, plats from 2007 to present are available through the City of Fort Worth Plat Directory.
What are the Categories of Plats?The plats necessary for a project depend on the project itself and the stage of development.
Concept Plan (Not Recorded)
A Concept Plan is required when:
- Preliminary plats are proposed to be presented in stages;
- The total land area of contiguous parcels under the same ownership and control is greater than one square mile (640) acres; and
- The area is located wholly or partially within the City of Fort Worth or proposed for annexation to the City.
Preliminary Plat (Not Recorded)
- A preliminary plat is required to be processed by the Planning and Development Department and approved by the City Plan Commission prior to the applicant submitting a Final Plat for City approval and recording with the respective county clerk.
- If a Concept Plan was not required, the preliminary plat shall include the land area of all contiguous parcels under the same ownership and control.
- A preliminary plat is not required if there is no dedication or construction of public or private streets required for access and if four (4) or fewer lots are to be platted.
- The final plat shall conform to the approved preliminary plat and meet all of the requirements of the Plan Commission.
- The Final Plat may include all or any portion of the area included in the approved Preliminary Plat.
- A Final Plat does not require a public hearing and is administratively approved by the Plan Commission's Executive Secretary preceding the filing of the plat for record.
Minor Plat (Short Form Final Plat)
- A minor plat is permitted for four (4) or fewer lots that have not been previously platted and recorded.
- All lots on the minor plat must have direct access to and front or abut an existing public street.
- All lots must meet the lot size requirements of the zoning district in which they are located.
- A minor plat does not require a public hearing and is administratively approved by the Plan Commission's Executive Secretary preceding the filing of the plat for record.
- A public hearing is required if additional single family or two family zoned lots are created or if the location or width of interior streets and pedestrian circulation routes are significantly altered.
- A replat may be administratively approved if no additional single or two family zoned lots are created and only minor street adjustments that do not alter the previously approved plat or require a vacation of the altered street right of way.
- A plat of record may be amended without public notice, a public hearing, or approval of other lot owners and is controlling over the preceding plat without vacation in accordance with the local government code chapter 212.016.
- An Amending Plat is filed for record in the county of jurisdiction upon administrative approval by the Plan Commission's Executive Secretary.
- A plat may be corrected without public notice, a public hearing, or approval of other lot owners and is controlling over the preceding plat without vacation for one or more of the purposes listed in Texas Local Government Code 212.016 (1) - (7).
- A Correction Plat is filed for record in the county of jurisdiction upon administrative approval by the Plan Commission's Executive Secretary
- A conveyance plat may be used to transfer ownership of a parcel or portion of a parcel of land in order to record the transfer of ownership without requiring construction or design of public improvements or collection of development fees.
- The property must have access to private or public street.
- The conveyance plat shall contain a certification note on the plat face, as follows:
- This Conveyance Plat shall not convey any rights to development or guarantee of public utilities, public or private access, or issuance of addressing and permits, without compliance with all subdivision rules and regulations and the approval and recording of a Final Plat.
- A Conveyance Plat is filed for record in the county of jurisdiction upon administrative approval by the Plan Commission's Executive Secretary.
- A recorded plat may only be vacated per the provisions of Section 212.013 of the Texas Local Government Code.
- No Vacated Plat may be recorded in the county of jurisdiction without a public hearing and approval of the City Plan Commission.
Current Wait Times
|Wait times currently unavailable|
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email Customer Service
City Hall, Lower Level
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102