Winter weather conditions can leave you stranded on a highway or stuck in your home without power for long periods of time. Do you have everything you’ll need to comfortably ride out an ice storm or heavy snowfall in your vehicle and home?
The Fort Worth Office of Emergency Management offers these tips:
- Place blankets, gloves, scarves, stocking hat, bottled water and nonperishable energy snacks in your vehicle’s trunk to keep you warm and hydrated.
- If your vehicle is spinning out on ice, clay kitty litter can help you gain momentum.
- You might even consider carrying a shovel in the trunk to help get out of a snowdrift or to break up ice.
- An ice scraper, first aid kit, flashlight, cellphone charger or power bank, screwdrivers and pliers, flares, plus jumper cables may also be needed.
- Build a 72 hour emergency kit that contains everything you’ll need if the power goes out.
- You’ll need a good supply of emergency light sticks, flashlights, batteries, portable NOAA All Hazard radio, power bank to recharge your cellphone, blankets, stocking hat, gloves.
- Attempting to heat your home by turning on a gas oven or using a charcoal grill may lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Remember to keep flammable items away from heat sources such as candles and fireplaces.
- Maintain situational awareness by checking weather forecasts daily so you’ll know what to expect before you leave home or work.
To learn more about North Central Texas disaster preparedness, visit the KnoWhat2Do website.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.