MedStar crews are responding to more than double the number of patients with flulike illnesses than last year. In November 2018, MedStar crews treated 123 patients with influenza-like illness. This compares to 50 patients in November 2017.
Among the 123 cases this year, the average age was 47, with the youngest 9 months and the oldest 90 years old. More than half (58 percent) of the patients were female. The highest-prevalence ZIP code is 76112 in far east Fort Worth.
MedStar urges everyone to take precautions to prevent possible transmission of viruses:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
To help reverse this early trend, MedStar is offering a mobile flu vaccination clinic at any location with 10 or more people who would like to be vaccinated.
Learn more about flu prevention from the Tarrant County Public Health Department.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.