For more than 30 years, MedStar has used a van-type ambulance with an attached patient compartment box. Starting this month, new ambulances on a pickup truck chassis with a “floating” patient compartment hit the streets.
These new ambulances represent a $13.5 million commitment by MedStar to the safety and comfort of patients and ambulance crews. Since MedStar operates without tax subsidy, this investment does not use any taxpayer funding. The ambulances are manufactured by Demers Ambulances, a North American leader in ambulance manufacturing.
Demers designed a new Dodge Type 1 model after extensive input from MedStar’s field crews. Some of the specialized features designed to MedStar’s specifications include:
- An integrated, under-the-hood generator that powers a dual high-performance air conditioning system, critical to providing mobile health care services in the hot Texas environment.
- A specially designed “floating” patient compartment to smooth the ride for patients and crew members when performing medical care in the back of the moving ambulance.
- Revolutionary crew seating that allows paramedics to conduct patient care while fully secured in a four–point harness for safety.
- A refrigerated safe to secure medications.
- Five live-view cameras on the ambulance, allowing personnel to observe patient care and provide an exterior view from the sides, front and rear of the ambulance.
A ribbon cutting for the new ambulances is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Sept. 17 at MedStar headquarters, 2900 Alta Mere Drive.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.