Fort Worth’s Office of Emergency Management conducts weekly tests of the outdoor warning system sirens at 1 p.m. every Wednesday, weather conditions allowing.
Sirens sound for 90 seconds on the first Wednesday of each month. The siren test is shortened to 15 seconds for other Wednesdays in the month. If conditions are favorable for severe weather on a test day, the siren test will not be conducted.
The Fort Worth outdoor warning system consists of 149 sirens strategically located throughout the city. Sirens are designed to serve as a warning for people outside of their business or residence. If you hear the sirens sound, seek sturdy shelter immediately. Make your way to an interior room, away from windows and exterior walls, and turn on a radio or television to a local station for more information.
Sirens will be activated for:
- A tornado warning issued by the National Weather Service.
- Tornado or funnel cloud reported by a reliable source.
- Sustained winds in excess of 60 mph.
- Reports of hail larger than one inch.
- Chemical spill emergency.
- State or national emergency declared by the governor or president.
- Other emergencies as appropriate.
Warning information is also available through NOAA weather radio. You can also sign up for free Nixle text and email messages.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.