Neighborhood Empowerment Zones (NEZ)
Promote housing, economic development and quality services in Fort Worth central city.
Now there are more reasons than ever to build in Fort Worth’s central city, thanks to an incentives package recently approved by the city council for any NEZs designated in the city.
Municipal property tax abatements, fee waivers and release of city liens are available to property owners who build or rehabilitate property within a NEZ. These incentives are designed to promote affordable housing, economic development and expanded services.
Como/Sunset Heights NEZ Strategic Plan
Public feedback is currently requested for the Como/Sunset Heights NEZ Strategic Plan.
- All Active NEZs
- 28th Street-Meacham
- Berryhill – Mason Heights
- Six Points
- Stop Six
- Highland Hills
- Lake Arlington
- Magnolia Village
- Northeast 820 and I-30
- Oakland Corners
- Como/Sunset Heights
- Rolling Hills
- Trinity Park
The NEZ Program is available for all NEZs designated by the City Council. The criteria the City Council uses to designate a NEZ are:
- The proposed NEZ must promote creation or rehabilitation of affordable housing; increase in economic development; or increase in the quality of social services, education, or public safety provided to residents in the zone.
- At least 75% of the NEZ is located in CDBG-eligible areas or the "Central City".
- Bounded by clearly defined boundaries (streets, railroads, creeks or other logical boundaries).
- No more than 6,000 people at the time of designation. If more than 6,000 people, the geographic area cannot be larger than 1.5 square miles.
- Meeting criteria for Reinvestment Zone.
- If a proposed NEZ boundary includes an urban village as defined in the 2002 Comprehensive Plan, a logical, defensible area of the urban village as determined by the City of Fort Worth must be zoned mixed-use. Eligible mixed-use zoning classifications include: “MU-1” Low Intensity Mixed-Use District, “MU-2” High Intensity Mixed-Use District, and a compatible “PD” Planned Development District as defined in the City of Fort Worth Zoning Ordinance.
Priority will be given to areas within or which include:
- State or federal designated enterprise or empowerment zones;
- Mixed-use growth centers, as defined and identified by the proposed City’s Comprehensive Plan;
- Existing Model Blocks or special target areas recognized by the City;
- A high priority commercial corridor; or
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-eligible areas.
Following are basic incentives available for all NEZs. Download a copy of the NEZ Basic Incentives (Revised May 16, 2017) adopted by the City Council.
Municipal Property Tax Abatement The following properties may qualify for municipal property tax abatements:
- Owner-occupied property
- Investor-owned single family property
- Multi-family development project
- Commercial, industrial or community facilities development project
- Mixed-use development project
The following fees are waived for qualified projects:
- All building permit related fees (including plans review and inspections)
- Plat application fee (including concept plan, preliminary plat, final plat, short form replat)
- Board of Adjustment application fee
- Demolition fee
- Structural moving fee
- Community Facility Agreement (CFA) application fee
- Zoning application fee
- Street and utility easement vacation application fee
- Impact fee
- Ordinance inspection fee
- Consent\ encroachment agreement application fee
- Transportation impact fee
- Urban forestry application fees
- Sign permit fees
Release of City Liens
The following City liens may be released for qualified projects:
- Weed liens
- Demolition liens
- Board-up/open structure liens
- Paving liens
Neighborhood Development Coordinator
- Utility service assistance available to Fort Worth residents
- Texas Rangers spreading holiday cheer through Cowboy Santas
- Volunteer with VITA to help provide free income tax assistance for families in Tarrant County
908 Monroe Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Housing Services & Information, Directions Home, Management & Budget, Home Improvement & Construction